History

Foundations…

‘The final stone of the Newtown church was laid in June, 1863, by an ex-curate of Alverstoke, Dr. Trench, Dean of Westminster, who has since been made Archbishop of Dublin’.

Behind this bald statement lay more than a decade of pious hopes and aspirations mingled with disappointments and frustrations; prayers, charitable appeals, calls for sacrifice, and good intentions often countered by faintheartedness, lack of support and even objections – but Christ Church, Our Church, became a reality…

 

THE ORIGINAL BOOKLET, WRITTEN BY G. CIVIL COVERED THE YEARS 1865-1965.

In 2000 it was thought appropriate that the original booklet be updated and further information added, stating the changes which had taken place in the Parish and Church of Christ Church during the 35 years since the centenary of the church in 1965. This was carried out by Mrs Joy Kretowicz.

The latest version, available for download here, was updated in 2009.